Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sewing Tips: Just for Beginners

Well. I have my second 'Sewing Tips' post waiting to be published, but I have to add a couple of quick pictures. However, today I was doing some googling for making baby clothes and in the process found some great info I found helpful when I was a beginner.

One of my favorite sewing blogs is SewMamaSew. (I think they recently updated the look/organization of their blog and I am sooo happy. I couldn't find things very easily before.) I am sure you all know about it, but if you don't now you do. They have some awesome posts on so many different sewing topics. I thought I would share some here that I found helpful when I was first diving into the world of sewing. (My mom taught me when I was little, but even she says I know more than her now, so much of what I am able to do now is self-taught.)

General Sewing Tips
Sewing Machine Buying Guide - Great resource if you are looking to buy a sewing machine.

Sewing Machine Feet Guide - If you know you want to get some new feet for your machine, this is a great guide to give you the run down. Personally right now, I am eyeing a ruffler and walking foot.

Button Holes - Check out your sewing machine's instructions too. Usually all newer machines comes with a button hole foot standard.

Putting in a Zipper - Nuf said.

Interfacing Guide - AHHHH! When I found this it was truly a 'Eureka!' moment. I was always so confused when I would go to the fabric store and try and figure out what interfacing I needed. Plus, it is written by the amazingly talented Amy Butler.

Sewing Skills
Altering a Pant Pattern You Have to Make Almost Any Type of Pant - This is almost a must if you don't want to buy a pattern for capris, wide leg, cropped, etc. Great for kids if you have those pants for them 'you love' but they out grow them.

Machine Applique - I love to applique! This is an awesome post that includes easy templates to help you get started. She has a second post that follows up with some more 'advanced' tips.

Finishing Seams
- I wish I had a serger! If you are like me and don't this post gives awesome info on how to finish seams without a serger. This is almost a must for kids clothes, otherwise they get all itchy. Make It and Love It also has a great post on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and questions!

If you have a question, email me so I have your contact information. My email link is on my left side bar.

Thanks for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails