Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tutorial: Quick Drawstring Bag

Here is a great sewing 'basic'. The drawstring bag. I remember the first time I made one...I dunno why, it is not like it was a momentous occasion.  The first time I made one was for a laundry sack to take to my church Girls' Camp. I recently came across it and I laughed so hard. It is like 1 1/2 yards long and 18 inches wide. I remember thinking it was so cool. Thanks mom for not bursting my creative bubble at age 12. ;)

With that being said...on to the tutorial. 
 
{quick drawstring bag}

1/2 yard of fabric, this makes a great basic size
1 1/2 yards ribbon or cording
large saftey pin

 

I used a serger to finish my raw edges. If you don't have a serger, directions are given in parentheses.

1. Cut two 13" x 15" rectangles. (You can easily increase this size if you need it bigger, just add an additional 2" for seam allowances and whatnot.) (No serger: On the top edge of each piece, fold under 1/4" and press. Fold under 1/4" again and press.) Fold under 1 1/2" from the same top edge. Press to crease.





2. Unfold the creased edge and place the pieces right sides together. (No serger: Also unfold the 1/4" you folded under twice.) From the pressed/creased edge measure down 1/4" and pin. Measure 1/2" from the first pin and pin again. This marks the opening for the drawstring. Begin sewing at the top, stopping at the first pin and back-stitching. Remove bag from your machine and trim threads. Begin sewing again at the second pin, back-stitching. Continue sewing to the bottom of the bag. Stop sewing at this point.


3. Press open the seam you just sewed. Try not to iron out the crease you made. My finger is pointing to the opening you should have.




4. Flip the bag over to the front. On the right side, sew on either side of the opening to hold the opening open. Place the wrong sides together again, pin, and sew the rest of the bag together. Leave the top open. Press seams. (No serger: Finish raw edges with a zig-zag stitch.)




5. Flatten the bottom of the bag. Make the side seam come come to a point as shown. Measure 1" from the point and mark. Sew on the line you marked.



6. Trim about 1/4" from the seam you just sewed. Repeat for the other side of the bag. 



7. With the bag turned right-side out, fold the creased edge down. Turn the bag right-side out and sew the creased edge in place about 1" away from the top edge. (No serger:With the bag turned right-side out, fold the creased edge down. Turn the 1/4" folded edges back under. Do not turn bag. Sew on top of the 1/4" folded edges about 1/8" away from the edge.)




8. Pin a ribbon or cording onto a safety pin and thread through the opening. Seal the raw ends of the ribbon or cording. Fill with whatever items you need!


What is that in the background? You will see very soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and questions!

If you have a question, email me so I have your contact information. My email link is on my left side bar.

Thanks for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails