Thursday, January 26, 2012

i'm swooning along

A few weeks ago I read about the Swoon Along over at I'm a Ginger Monkey. Like many, I've been in love with Swoon from Thimble Blossoms. I decided to join in on the fun and  am so glad I did. I only made one block, they measure 24.5" square, and it will be a wall hanging in my baby's room. Since it was such a fun block, I am planning to the full quilt in the future.  Last week I did all the cutting and I've spent the last two eveningish piecing the block...



I  didn't use fat quarters, the pattern calls for two per block, I used scraps of Kona Cotton in Baby Pink and my last bit of Sandi Henderson's Farmer's Market. (So sad all my Farmer's Market is officially gone.) I'm planning to add a 4" white border and binding with a green from Ruby.

This quilt included some firsts for me. Meaning, I've never done a quilt that required this much precision. (It is not perfect by any means, some seams are a little off.) You don't have to be perfect at piecing to attempt this quilt, but adding extra pins and getting your 1/4" seam allowance just right makes it much easier.  It truly was like putting together a giant fabric jigsaw puzzle.  It was also the first time I did a Flying Geese block! My first one was super wonky but after that one they turned out just fine.

So if you've been thinking about joining in on the Swoon fun...do it! One block isn't a huge commitment and it is a fun challenge. I loved it!

Happy Thursday!

LeAnne

3 comments:

  1. This block was my first 'Goose' too! I think for my next block I will try the fancy way of making them, with the larger square/ doing 4 at once.
    Yours is a very pretty block, perfect for a wall hanging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your blog! I want to try a quilt someday......

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to see what you are up to--so many beautiful things! I would expect nothing less from you:) I have made a resolution to learn to sew this year and make a new quilt for our new bedroom--wish me luck my talented friend!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and questions!

If you have a question, email me so I have your contact information. My email link is on my left side bar.

Thanks for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails