Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tutorial: Baby Hair Clips

Thanks for voting everyone! 


These cute little clips are the perfect size for newborns and/or babies with very fine hair. I made a bunch and after explaining this to a lot of people, I've decided just to put the directions here. So here are the two type of bows I make.
Yes, if you haven't figured it out already, I have a thing for polka dots.
First you will need:
snap clips, 
I used 1 1/4" (30mm) baby snap clips, but you can use whatever you like.

Edit: You can find this size on Etsy from various sellers. I purchased mine from Trimweaver. There are two types of snap clips: rectangular, the type I prefer, and triangular. Trimweaver sells these type of snap clips in sets of 24, 48, and 96.

ribbon

rosette flowers, if you wish

glue, I use hot glue

lighter or Fray Check, to seal the ribbons


First you need to line your clip.

To line this size of clip, cut a 2 1/2" piece of ribbon and seal the edges how you like. Then unsnap the clip and put a dab of glue on one end of the ribbon. Slide this end of the ribbon under the clip as shown. Put another dab of glue at the end of the clip to secure the rest of the ribbon.


Flip the clip over and place another dab of glue in the three places shown in the picture below. You will have a bit of ribbon left over. Wrap that bit over to the back of the clip and secure with glue.


To make the pictured 'Hair Clips with Flowers':

Now you can add a rosette flower if you like. To get the rosette flower to stick, put a dab of glue in the desired place and place the flower on top. You have to 'squish' the flower down to get it to hold well.

To make the pictured 'Colorful Hair Clips':

You will need to add a 'ribbon loop bow'. To make a ribbon bow cut a 3" piece of ribbon and 1 1/4" piece of ribbon. Seal the ends.

To make the loop part, put a dab of glue in the middle of the 3" piece of ribbon. Fold both ends of the ribbon to the middle where the glue is.


Your loop should look like this:


Flip the loop so the wrong side is facing you. (The side where the two ends meet in the middle.) Place a dab of glue where the two ends meet. Put the 1 1/4" piece of ribbon on the glue and wrap around the middle of the loop. Secure on the back again with a dab of glue.

wrong side of ribbon loop

right side of ribbon loop

Secure loop to your lined hair clip with glue.

Now go make a a bunch!



Thanks for reading!

LeAnne :)

6 comments:

  1. super cute! where did you get your clips from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. way cute! I love them because they aren't HUGE on my little ones head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tutorial ... these are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tutorial. These are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tutorial ... these are adorable

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and questions!

If you have a question, email me so I have your contact information. My email link is on my left side bar.

Thanks for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails